Mexico City, Mexico: Bioterrorism Plan Development Workshop
The Organization of American States (OAS) Bioterrorism Plan Development Workshop was held on March 12-15, 2013 in Mexico City, Mexico.
This workshop aimed to continue the work already begun in Mexico to facilitate the development of a National Emergency Response Plan for responding to an act of bioterrorism
- Use experience, existing best practices, and lessons learned from past exercises and workshops to tailor and strengthen an interagency process for improving the existing plan in Mexico.
- Increase awareness and aid the improvement of Mexico's National Health Protection Plan against Bioterrorism.
- Provide a forum to identify and discuss key issues relevant to their nation's preparedness.
- Increase planning fundamentals, further interagency discussions, and promote participant networking.
- Examine coordination, command, communications, and response capabilities.
Approximately 80 participants, 6 international subject matter experts (SMEs), and host country SMEs attended the workshop. The workshop consisted of presentations, open discussions, a Plan Development practical session, and a tabletop exercise (TTX). At the conclusion of the event, Mexico stated it was better prepared to handle a biological incident.